Our deer fence diy guide will help you purchase and install a deer fence in your backyard or around your property.
What kind of deer fence product should I buy and how much of it do I need?
Well, that depends on what you would like to fence. Some people only fence their vegetable gardens while others prefer fencing off their whole property.
List of supplies you will need.
The base requirement are the roll or fence itself. some kind of support to count the fence and something to watch the fence to those supports.
1. A DEER FENCE OR A VINYL COATED WELDED WIRE FENCE
The most important factors are height and breaking load.
Height: Make sure to select a roll that’s at least 6ft to 8ft tall. The taller the fence the better. Some deers like the white-tailed deer can jump almost 8 feet high.
Breaking load: The breaking load of the fence refers to how strong the fence is under a heavyMake sure that the fence as a a high breaking load usually over 800lbs is a good start.
If you’re willing to pay for a high-end product, the wire-mesh deer fences that have been coated in black are highly recommended.
Recommend Deer Fence Products from our website (Click for more details)
- Black or Galvanized Graduated Fixed Knot Fence – Deer Fence(From $750.00 to $1,250.00)
- 1″ Hex Mesh 20 Gauge Black | Chicken Hex Netting(From $130.00 to $300.00)
- 1 1/2″x 4″ 14 gauge vinyl coated (pool code) welded wireSale!(From $210.00 to $450.00)
- 2″x4″ 14 Gauge Vinyl Coated Welded Wire Roll(From $85.00 to $450.00)
2. SUPPORTS OR FENCE POSTS- ANYTHING TO ATTACH YOUR DEER FENCE TO.
- Heavy Duty Fence Posts 12 Gauge
- Wood Posts
- Existing strutures (any structure you can attach the fence too)
Support and Fence Posts recommended above (click for details)
3. FASTENERS – ANYTHING YOU USE TO ATTACH YOUR FENCE TO SUPPORTS
- Fence ties or zip ties (recommended)
- Rope (make sure the rope material will withstand degradation)
Recommended Ties (click for details)
- Fence Ties – Black Vinyl Coated Fence Ties Wire (100 Pack)(From $10.00 to $12.00)
4. INSTALLATION TOOLS
- A Post driver allows you to drive fence posts into the ground with ease
- Wire cutters to cut wire and fencing
- Gloves to protect your hands against sharp and pointy parts of the fence.
- A ladder to reach high places (A frame ladders work best)
How to install your Deer Fence
FEW THINGS BEFORE STARTING TO INSTALL YOUR DEER FENCE
Here are the basic steps to follow regardless of your installation method.
1. Outline your fence’s perimeter
First, we need to find out how much deer fencing you will need to secure your chosen area. Use a measuring wheel or a tape measure to estimate the linear footage needed, but add an extra 10% to the total distance you came up with.
2. Map your corners or other angle points.
Visualize where each important corners of your fence will be and mark the spot where the corner posts will be.
3. Let’s start our deer fence installation
1. First, drive all your heavy duty posts into the ground about 2 feet deep around the whole perimeter. Make sure to space your posts about 10 to 15 feet apart (the closer the stronger the fence). Use a post driver for painless experience.
2. Start Unrolling your fencing roll and attach it to your first support structure using . For a clean look, snip the hanging wire bits from the edge of the netting.
By Academy Fence